Updated: May 20, 2011
Doing business with KAWARTHA COTTAGE RENTALS (“KCR“) may involve providing information about you. To enrich our Members’ experience, some personally identifiable information may be displayed. At www.kawartha-cottage-rentals.com (the “KCR Website“), we take your privacy very seriously – and you have control over how your information is collected, used and disclosed.
KCR maintains strict customer information privacy policies and uses state of the art technologies to safeguard customer information and communications from unauthorized intrusions. KCR also recognizes that the growth of on-line services has created additional privacy concerns, particularly for consumers.
On-line privacy concerns focus primarily on the protection of “personally identifiable” information which an individual or other customer reasonably expects to be kept private. As the term suggests, “personally identifiable” information is information that, when associated with an individual identifies that individual, for example, a customer’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or credit card number.
- This policy does not apply to confidential or proprietary information which is covered separately under KCR’s Confidential Information Protection Policy .
Information Collection and Use
- Certain of the KCR Services activities, like uploading content, posting comments, flagging content, using KCR Management Applications or watching or listening to restricted content requires a KCR Account.
- KCR collects personally identifiable information when you register for a KCR Account, when you use certain KCR products or services, and when you enter promotions or sweepstakes. KCR may also receive personally identifiable information from KCR’s business partners.
- Once you register with KCR and sign in to the KCR Services, you are not anonymous to us. When you register with KCR, we ask for your name, email address, birth date, gender, postal code, occupation, industry, and personal interests (the “Registration Information“). All other information you provide upon registration or otherwise post on the KCR Website is done so voluntarily.
- Any personally identifiable information, or video or audio content that you voluntarily disclose online (on discussion boards, in messages and chat areas, within your profile pages, etc.) may become publicly available and may be collected and used by others.
- KCR may collect personally identifiable information from you should you choose to participate in activities such as sweepstakes, contests and surveys, because you want us to furnish you with products, services, newsletters, or information, or in connection with content or suggestions you submit to KCR for review
- KCR automatically receives and records non-personally identifiable information on the KCR server logs from your browser including your IP address, KCR cookie information and the page you requested. (User IP addresses are recorded for security and monitoring purposes.)
- KCR determines the purposes of collection, use and disclosure of the Registration Information you provide and, as such, is considered the data controller of this information. Because the Member, not KCR, determines the purposes for which Profile Information is collected, used and disclosed, KCR is not the data controller of Profile Information that Members provide on their profile.
- KCR uses information for the following general purposes:
- to customize the advertising and content you see on KCR pages and otherwise provide you with personalized services,
- to fulfill your requests for certain products and services,
- to protect you and/or KCR from error, fraud and unauthorized access and use,
- to improve KCR’s services,
- to allow you to have the ability to identify and familiarize yourself with other KCR Members and partners,
- to conduct research, and
- to contact you about specials and new products or for service announcements or administrative messages relating to KCR.
Information Sharing and Disclosure by KCR
- KCR will not sell, trade, rent or otherwise disclose to third parties any personally identifiable information derived from the registration or use of an KCR product or service.
- KCR will not share personally identifiable information about you to other companies or people except when:
- we have your consent to share this information;
- we need to share your information to provide the product or service you have requested;
- we need to share the information with companies who work on behalf of KCR to provide a product or service to you. (Please know that whenever we share your personally identifiable information with KCR’s trusted business partners, they work under confidentiality agreements. Unless we tell you differently, these companies do not have any right to use the personally identifiable information we provide to them beyond what is necessary to assist us.);
- we reasonably believe it is necessary to share personally identifiable information:
- to investigate, prevent or take action regarding situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, or
- for risk management purposes;
- we are required to disclose personally identifiable information by reasons of a court order, subpoena, search warrant, or other legal process or in the case of imminent physical harm to the customer or others, or
- to establish or exercise KCR’s legal rights or defend against legal claims;
- when you register for an KCR Account, as your registration information and other data may be transmitted to the other countries for processing and storage by KCR and its affiliates and may be subject to the legal jurisdiction of these countries.
- To enrich the community experience, KCR displays certain Member Profile information, including Company contact information, pictures etc.
- If KCR includes your name and/or any other personally identifiable information in a directory or webpage that KCR creates from information we receive as an on-line service provider, KCR will provide you the opportunity to have your information excluded from that directory. Business directories that KCR creates may, however, contain information obtained from other sources.
- KCR may enable Members to voluntarily publicly display some Registration Information as an element of their Profile Information if they choose to do so via a profile setting under “Edit Profile.” To locate other KCR Members you may already know in the physical world, KCR allows Users to search for Members using publicly displayed Registration Information (i.e., full name or email address).
- KCR allows Users to browse for publicly available Profile Information (e.g. schools and/or companies where Users may have attended or worked) in order to help connect with Members.
- Search engines may also index the portion of a Member’s profile (including the Profile Information it contains) that is publicly displayed.
Cookies, Web Beacons and other Usage Data
- When you access the Internet, the computers that host web sites you visit (“web servers”) automatically receive some anonymous information. This “usage data” may include a record of which pages a web browser has visited. The KCR Website servers receive usage data when customers visit www.kawartha-cottage-rentals.comand other KCR websites, and when KCR Users visit other sites as well. KCR and its advertisers may use various kinds of software devices to collect information about Internet use.
- Small files called “cookies” may be attached to your Web browser and your computer.�
- KCR will not use information about your activities on the Internet together with any information that identifies you without your consent.
- We do not link the information stored in KCR’s cookies to any personally identifiable information you submit while on the KCR Website.
- You may be able to configure your browser to accept or block all or some cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. Each browser is different, so check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. Note though , disabling cookies may mean that we won’t be able provide certain products or services, which may be of use to you.
- In addition, KCR and its advertisers may use small bits of code called “one-pixel gifs,” or “clear gifs” embedded in some web pages, to make cookies more effective.
- A pixel tag is a tiny image inserted in a webpage and used to record the number and types of views for that page. KCR may allow third party pixel tags to be present on the KCR Website for the purposes of advertising, providing services or data and statistics collection.
- KCR will not associate the information these software devices collect with your name or e-mail address.
- Advertising presented on the KCR Website may by delivered by KCR or one of KCR’s advertising partners.�
- To provide customized advertising for products and services they believe may be of most interest to you, other companies presenting advertisements may set and access their own cookies on your computer.
- The advertising companies may also receive some anonymous information about advertisement viewing by Internet users on KCR web pages and other Internet sites. This information may be associated with a customer’s web browser, but cannot be associated with a name or e-mail address without the customer’s permission. (This means that advertising companies may know where your computer goes on the Internet, but they don’t know who you are unless you tell them.)
- KCR does not supply customer identifiable information to advertising companies or to individual advertisers or other third parties and advertisers do not have access to KCR’s cookies.
- KCR also uses “web beacons“ to access KCR’s cookies inside and outside the KCR Website and in connection with KCR products and services.
Links & Third Party Applications
- KCR may provide, and the KCR Website may contain links to other websites. Although we strive to only link to websites that share KCR’s high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content or practices employed by other sites.
- Third party applications (such as widgets) created by third party developers may also be available on the KCR Website. Third party applications are small bits of software, often with interactivity, that can be installed into Members’ profiles or shared with other Users. KCR does not control third party developers and cannot dictate their actions. When a you engage with a third party application, you are interacting with the third party developer, not with KCR. KCR encourages you to not provide personally identifiable information to the third party unless you know the third party with whom you are interacting.
Editing and Deleting Registration/Account Information and Preferences
- You have the right to access, verify and update your KCR Registration Information, Profile Information and Preferences at any time, including whether you want KCR to contact you about specials and new products.
- You may modify or remove any of your personally identifiable information (exclusive of your User Name) at any time by logging into your KCR Account and accessing features such as “Edit Profile“.
- If you no longer wish to receive updates or notifications from KCR or one or more of KCR’s advertising partners, simply uncheck the appropriate boxes under the “Send me KCR updates and information” heading in your Email Notification Settings.
- Upon such choice, KCR (a) will not contact you directly with marketing messages about KCR and its products and services, and (b) will not use personally identifiable information obtained from your registration for or use of the KCR Website or any of the KCR Services to contact you with marketing messages about any KCR products or services.
- If you wish to receive updates or notifications but want to limit how such messages are delivered to you, you may choose limit receipt of such messages to e-mail, regular mail and/or telephone.
- KCR honours requests from Members to review all personally identifiable information maintained in reasonably retrievable form, including but not limited to such information as your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number and/or billing information, and will correct any such information which may be inaccurate. Members may also verify that appropriate corrections have been made.
- You may request deletion of your entire KCR Account at any time, for any reason, by following the instructions on the Member’s Account Settings page (You will be asked to verify your password and confirm your choice to terminate you Account).
Note: Not allowing us to use certain information may mean we won’t be able to provide certain products or services which may be of use to you.
Confidentiality and Security
- We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personally identifiable information and we use commercially reasonable measures to safeguard personally identifiable information and credit card information in KCR’s possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure or modification.
- In addition, KCR uses reasonable methods to make sure that personally identifiable information is accurate, up-to-date and appropriately complete.
- In order to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under KCR’s control, KCR’s database resides behind firewalls.
- We limit access to personally identifiable information about you to employees who, as part of their job, we believe need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you.
- We have taken preventative measures to restrict access to sensitive data and to detect and prohibit certain connections and operations by unauthorized Users.
- While KCR’s measures exceed industry standards, no claim is made as to the impenetrability of the system under unusual circumstances or its resilience to future attacks.�
- In the event that you believe that your personal safety is at risk or if you believe that you may be the victim of identity theft or other illegal conduct, please contact the appropriate federal, provincial or local law enforcement agencies directly.
KCR will not read or disclose to third parties private e-mail communications that are transmitted using KCR services except as required to operate the service or as otherwise required or authorized by law.
- KCR will inform you of any changes we make by sending a notice to the primary email address specified in your KCR Account and/or by posting a prominent announcement on KCR’s Home Page.
Questions or Suggestions
- If you have questions, concerns or suggestions about KCR, the KCR Website or any KCR products or services, please feel free to contact us.
Additional Privacy Protections for Children Using the Internet
- KCR recognizes that children, including young teens, may not be able to make informed choices about personally identifiable information requested on-line.
- KCR and the KCR Website does not target children or teenagers (younger than eighteen years of age) for collection of information on-line. KCR does not solicit or collect personally identifiable information targeted at children and/or teenagers under eighteen and does not allow anyone else to do so, on any KCR Website web pages.
- In addition, on product or service related KCR web pages, KCR will encourage children and teenager under eighteen to seek the guidance and consent of their parents before providing any information about themselves or their households to anyone on the Internet.